Skip to main content

The principles that guide me to manage a group of toddlers

 




THE PRINCIPLES THAT GUIDE ME TO MANAGE A GROUP OF TODDLERS

1. The group as a whole is the priority at all times.

That means I try not to focus too hard or too long on anything else.  When I clean or put the shoes on one child for example, I keep an eye on the group.  I position myself in a way that I see everyone.   And if one child gets bored or disruptive, I drop whatever i'm doing and discreetly direct him/her to a safe and acceptable activity.  If I cannot drop what I'm doing, for example if I'm changing a diaper, I sing an action song or direct verbally.  The tone and the words have to be positive and enthusiastic as opposed to negative.

I try to not turn my back on the children.  If I ever do, for example to open the shed in the playground,  I count them first and acknowledge that they are safe and behaved, if not I take care of that first.  Then I am quick at opening the shed or whatever else and then I count them again and see where is the best place for me to be to supervise.  Outside, one has to be at the playscape and the other at the ramp.

2.  A  prepared day is a better day.

I try to write and prep the lesson plan during nap.  First thing in the morning I have a look at the lesson plan or write one for the day if it's not done.  When the children are busy working on the skills of all the aspects of their development,  they are happy and well.  Also when it's quiet I go back to the plan to see what can we do next when they are going to get restless, which you know it's gonna happen.  If one child get disruptive while I'm busy getting the next activity ready then I hold the hand of that child for a while and talk to him/her about what I am doing.  One disruptive child becomes 2 then 8 in a matter of seconds.

3. Prevention is best.

When they start a specific misbehavior,  expect them to do it again and again so plan to prevent it.  For example nowadays my "kids" have the tendency to climb on the table so I keep the chairs at the table with toys on it.  Also I  keep them busy, I make sure each one of them is occupied in some ways.

They have the tendency to run up the ramp and away from us in the playground so one of us should be there at all time.

As tempting as it might be to stay outside a long time, if we stay more than half an hour then we will have to deal with a bunch of tired toddlers and it will be painful. 

Outside they could climb the fence and fall inside or outside the playground (what a scary thought) so I always scan the playground, and count them to make sure they are within my sight, doing a safe and acceptable activity. 

When we go back inside, first I trap them on the ramp then between the 2 doors then block the way to pass the classroom and direct them to the circle area.  I don't get upset if one of them escapes, it would make the others do the same.  I just go to grab his or her hand and direct him or her or them to the right direction. I try to make it fun and talk about the fun activity we will do for circle.

When one child is disruptive, I discreetly direct him or her toward a safe and acceptable activity.  In order to do that, I have to focus on the group as a whole at all time to realize what is going on. If I don't I will only realize when things get real bad.  I know I'm repeating myself  but it is so true, one disruptive child becomes 2 then 8 in a matter of seconds.

Nowadays two of them lock the door in the bathroom.  So now, I go with one at a time, if I cannot do that I find a way not to let the door of the stall open, using the garbage can for example.

A conflict can result in biting or other injuries so I try to be quick to intervene.  It is usually over toys or space so I help them to use their words or teach them to say : "Can I have it please?" or "Can you make room for me?".


4. Mutiny has to be cut off quickly.

Sometimes children team up against the teachers. For example when they think it's funny to climb on the table, I bring them on the circle rug and block the way out.  I entertain them, try to be fun and enthusiastic.   If I am  upset they will get wilder and wilder.  It makes them feel powerful and it's thrilling to them. "Imagine that, I'm little and I can make an adult upset... how fun!".  They are not aware of the danger and we are responsible for their safety.  I do what I have to do to keep them safe, I try to get strong, determined, convincing, fun, maybe funny, but in control.  If you get upset they are in control of the game.  Take the lead somehow.

If they are screaming I can bring the leaders outside the room to surprise them, calm them down and divide them to conquer, making sure we stay in ratio, or just move on with the schedule.  If it happens during snack for example, take the initiator and bring him/her to the sink to wash hands, snack is over, don't yell over them it just makes it worst.

If it happens outside it probably means that it's time to go inside. 

5. Stay calm.

Our state of mind is contagious, so I take care of myself by focusing on my breathing.  Whatever makes me feel calmer, I say it or do it, it will reflect on the children.  When I am calm the good ideas come to me.

I try to keep an enthusiastic tone of voice and raise my voice only to prevent an immediate danger (a child darting at another to bite or attack in some ways, for example).  It has more impact if I do it rarely.  Toddlers make messes this is not a good reason to loose my temper. I stay calm and ask the child to clean up, of course I will have to clean after but it's part of our job, I don't expect a day without messes to take care of.

6. Have life savers in mind.

Life savers for the group when they run in the classroom: 

- "Everybody clap your hands"

- "If you're happy and you know".  I might have to come up with a new one, they might get tired of it.


Life savers for when they bang their feet in the wagon :

-  Make circles around your eyes "This is grandma's glasses..."

- "If you like to go outside, clap your hands" (skip stomp your feet)

- Hide your hands behind your back : "Where is thumbkin" 


Life savers for the very active child :

- He/she gets very excited and needs to relax every so often during the day.  Reading a book with him/her on your lap might work (keep an eye on the group though).

-  Building 

- Looking out the window

- Looking at the family pictures 

- Chatting


Life savers with a very young upset toddler:

- Squeezing bottle

- Pop-up links

- Star connectors

- Reading a book of their choice

- Looking out the window 

- Looking at family pictures 

- Singing Frère Jacques or find a song that works for that particular child.

Life savers for the naughty one:

- Baby dolls

- Find out his/her favorite book.

- Going to the bathroom.


Life savers with the emotional one:

- Picking him up

- Read a book with him/her on your lap

- Explain the reasons behind rules (when receptive, not during a tantrum)

7. Be positive

If you say don't run to a toddler, all the sudden you have 8 running.  You get more of what you talk about so say what you want them to do and you'll have more of it.

Say :

- Walk your feet 

- I like how Arnold is cleaning up

- Come here, I'll find something to play out of the closet.

- You made a mess let's clean it up.

- Inside voice, can you whisper like me.

- Pretend (instead of don't put that in your mouth)

- Let's sing a song, what do you want to sing?

- Nice hands

If i catch  myself saying the name of one child on a negative way too often, I observe that child to learn his/her interests and find ways to say his/her name in positive way, example:

- Hey P come and see that bird

- Hey P come I'm getting blocks

- Hey P see what I'm building 

- Hey P let's make a sand castle together 

Toddlers say "no" because they hear it a lot and want to be independent, it doesn't necessarily mean that they won't do what they say no to. And sometimes they have the choice and sometimes they don't. For example we have to change their diaper every 2 h. and we have to wash our hands before and after eating and after using the potty or had our diaper changed.  Some toddlers says "no" when it's time to go to the bathroom.  Stay calm and just say "well we have to go, we"ll put the toys you are playing with on the cots".

Don't stew on the negative, toddlers do things without thinking, they don't have much control on themself.  Say one child hit a friend, say : "hitting hurts and is not ok".  Ask him/her to apologize then move on to a positive activity.   If the child persists the behavior you might have him/her take a 2 minutes rest away from the group.  After 2 minutes you may say :"I'm not letting you hurting my friends, are you ready to play nicely?"


8.  Pick and choose your battles.

We all need to do that in life but with toddlers it is really necessary because other wise we would spend way too much time fighting.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sensory table with white stuff in it

  SENSORY TABLE WITH WHITE STUFF IN IT  Measurement (math) activity (Cognitive) for toddlers  If you don't have a sensory table you can use trays or any shallow containers.  We put rice, cornstarch and salt.  We used it for measurement activity and during centers time for Initiative.  It always a popular one in my classroom.

S'more book for toddlers

 S'more book for toddlers A print concepts activity I had so much fun doing this project during nap.  I'd like to encourage you to draw even if you think you are bad at it.  Most of us draw like a 12 years old because it is when we stopped. I saw on pinterest a similar book but it was for preschool therefore too advanced for my kids so I came up with this one.  I Google hazelnut drawing and to my surprise I found something and same thing with marsmallow fluff.  I chose the simplest one and tried to replicated it.  Well I'm happy with the result. The coloring part was fun too.   

Arctic animals, one week lesson olan for toddlers

 Arctic Animals  One week lesson plan for toddlers Monday Language and Literacy  (Literacy) Flip and Flop by Dawn Apperley  https://coachingtoddlers.blogspot.com/2021/01/communication-activities-for-toddlers.html Fine motor Cuting fishes drawn on strips of paper to feed the penguin tomorrow  https://coachingtoddlers.blogspot.com/2021/01/fine-motor-activities.html Art Penguin  Cognition   (Counting and Cardinality) Couting penguins If you want to know more about my cognitive activities, click the link below: https://coachingtoddlers.blogspot.com/2021/01/cognitive-activities-for-toddlers.html If you are intimidated about drawing I encourage you to give this penguin a try, click on the link below for clear instructions:  https://coachingtoddlers.blogspot.com/2021/02/how-to-draw-penguin.html Social and Emotional  (Sense of self) Bringing each child to the mirror with a wet wipes and asking them to wash their face themself after eating. Click the link below for more information about my Soc