Skip to main content

Beach Art for Toddlers




BEACH ART FOR TODDLERS

This is a two weeks art project.
Inspired by the book Sea, Sand, Me! by Patricia Hubbell and Lisa Campbell Earnst.

Supplies : 

- Light blue construction or copy paper
- Dark blue tissue paper 
-  White tissue or copy paper
- White glue diluted on about 1/1 ratio
- Sand

First step : 

First step, which is a great fine motor activity, is tearing the dark blue tissue and white copy paper into strips.  I demonstrated the technique as a group then provided large strips of paper.  I didn't expect any strips coming out of this activity.  I just wanted my students practiced their fine motor skills when I was making them.  At my surprise, one of the oldest got  the the pointer and thumb pinch on an opposite motion perfectly.  All the "strips" went in a bag for the next step.

Step 2 :

This year  my class is very young so that step was made one student at a time.  I diluted white glue with the same amount of water in one piece of egg carton, dipped a paintbrush and spread a few lines in the middle of the light blue paper.  I gave some strips of white and blue paper, demonstrated how to paste them then let them do the rest.

Strep 3 :

I spread the bottom part of the paper with glue, using a paint brush and asked, one child at a time, to sprinkle sand on the glue with me.



Note : I like to make one to show them the idea then I don't display it to avoid comparison, even though toddlers don't really have that tendency.


The following days we added a shovel, a pail, a sand castle, a sail boat and a seagull.




Some children were there on the pail day but not on the seagull day for example so the part timers' don't have every items but everyone has a beach art project that they are proud of. And this what is all about. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Curling, gross motor and social activity for toddlers

    CURLING  Winter Gross motor and Social activity for toddlers Supplies : - Empty bleach container -Utility knife  - Duct tape - Long piece of white paper - Red and blue construction paper - Glue stick  Preparation : Wash the bleach container, cut off the middle part with an utility knife.  Keep 1 to 2 inches from the narrower part on top and cut at the bottom line of the bottom part so you can insert the top in the bottom.  Insert the top part in the bottom part and tape with duct tape. Cut 2 big rings of blue construction paper (as big as a 8 x 11 piece allows you) then 2 smaller red ones. Cut a long piece of white paper from a roll ( about 6 feet long).  Glue the rings at each end of the paper. Cover with a slightly bigger contact paper. How to play curling with the 2 years old : Just show them how to push the "stone" across the "ice" and try to make it go in the house (on the rings).  Give one a stone and one a little broom.  Let t...

Shape shamrock, math activity (geometry) for toddkers

  SHAPE SHAMROCK math activity (geometry) for toddlers I demonstrated how to make one then I give them 3 circles and 1 triangle and let them doing what they please.  The important think is that they hear the word circle when giving some then triangle, the rest is just for fun.

The principles that guide me to manage a group of toddlers

  THE PRINCIPLES THAT GUIDE ME TO MANAGE A GROUP OF TODDLERS 1. The group as a whole is the priority at all times. That means I try not to focus too hard or too long on anything else.  When I clean or put the shoes on one child for example, I keep an eye on the group.  I position myself in a way that I see everyone.   And if one child gets bored or disruptive, I drop whatever i'm doing and discreetly direct him/her to a safe and acceptable activity.  If I cannot drop what I'm doing, for example if I'm changing a diaper, I sing an action song or direct verbally.  The tone and the words have to be positive and enthusiastic as opposed to negative. I try to not turn my back on the children.  If I ever do, for example to open the shed in the playground,  I count them first and acknowledge that they are safe and behaved, if not I take care of that first.  Then I am quick at opening the shed or whatever else and then I count them again and see ...